Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 9 - Learning to Knit and Watercolor!

A
Day 9  - At Sea!

Mongolian Lunch and Black and Silver Dinner!  

My Day:

I am not quite sure how people say that they can get bored at sea! There are too many things to do and not enough time!  Even getting up at 7 am, I still don't have enough time to do everything!  Today I attempted to investigate some new hobbies and try to see how well I do at them!  While my mom was at a presentation on Rio, I went to a knitting class.  Although the ladies there said knitting was a bit harder because it uses two needles. So therefore I learned how to crochet.  It is hard - I like to think that I am forming new brain cells in learning how to crochet!  I only learned one point and I got about three lines done in 45 minutes!  At first I pulled the strings to hard, so I couldn't stitch the second row. I had to start over. Then I kept skipping holes, and my fingers were cramping. I am not sure how people can find this relaxing and how they can knit without looking! Baffling!  Although I kept trying and I did ok! The lady in charge let me keep my thread and needle, it is still in my bag.  

After that exhausting attempt to knit, I meet my mom and the usual group of people we eat lunch with on the Lido for a Mongolian cookout.  They transformed the deck into a food festival. You were able to pick your own vegetables, meats, seafood and noodles and take them to one of the chefs who had hot plates and woks to make your dish. You were able to pick your sauces and much more! It was very impressive!

Now it was time to watercolor! Something else I never really was good at was drawing or painting, so therefore why not try watercolors!  It was great they let me use charcoal paper to transfer a drawing of a butterfly onto the paper and then you just had to watercolor! That sounded easier than it was! I had too much water, too much paint, the colors were running together! It is hard to watercolor!  After about several failed attempts, I finally got the hang of dabbing the brush to get the water off of it, then I learned to mix colors before I put them on the paper! My mom was much better at me at this! She may now become a watercolorist!!  It was a start for me, maybe tomorrow! We had to let them dry in the art room but once I get them, I will post my artwork! 

Tonight was another formal night! It was the Black and Silver Ball so therefore we had to get dressed up! The dining room was transformed into black and white! There were decorations everywhere! Black linen sheets were strung across the balconies , silver metallic glitter accessories hang from the ceiling. It was really nice! Prior to dinner, George (this funny guy who lives in Arizona and claims to have a fake leg but doesn't) asked if he could join our table, although he did say that he didn't bring any tuxes, he apparently rented one from the ship, so now our table was full! But when we got to our table, the Chief of Security also joined us, so we had 11 people - a big difference from our original 5!  Dinner was really nice. The Chief of Security told us about what they do to protect us. George and Sondra kept everyone entertained! Then after dinner there was a ball in the Queen's Lounge. They again transformed this room and there was more glitter top hots and sparkles on the floor than I have ever seen. I feel really bad for the people who have to clean it up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment