Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 7 - Meeting More People

Day 7 

Highlights of the Day:
Tropical Cyclones Presentation
Creme Brûlée Sample
High Tea
Fun Drink at the Crow's Nest
Walkie Talkies

Science Class:
Dr. Denny Whitford - PhD in Oceanography, Professor at US Naval Academy and currently at the University of Maryland
Differences between tropical cyclones, depressions, and storms as well as the names used around the world
How the Coriolis Effect effects the formation of cyclones
The ways evaporation and condensation are needed to form a cyclone

The Long Summary of My Day:
Another sea day, but that gives me a day to catch up and write in my journal, which is basically become my blog, relax, go to the gym, sit by the pool, etc. Today I have dedicated to working on my classes as well.  I was still full from dinner last night, so breakfast was just a grapefruit and juice.  Then off to listen to a presentation about Recife and the things to do and see while we are there.  Afterwards, I go to the Tropical Cyclones presentation  which was extremely informative and gave me many ideas of ways I can discuss this in my classroom. 

I worked on my class for awhile on the Lido, then my mom and I went to High Tea! That has become a nice thing to do but today 4 other people joined us - George, Sondra, Bill and some new lady, Anna!  We has a great time but usually tea time is quite and with our crowd, that was not the case.  I took some time to photograph some of the beautiful flower arrangements around the ship! I am very impressed with how lovely they are. I just wonder who puts them together!  I also wonder who carves all the watermelons and bread arrangements - they are very talented!  We ended up staying for a while at the Crow's nest before going down to the lounge to get on the computer.  Although it seems that the internet is down currently so I was planning on uploading the pages I have written, but that we have to wait!

So Far My Impression of the Staff:
Ridiculously friendly
I can't understand when they sleep
and how they remember our names
Always in a good mood
They don't seem to mind waiting on people hand and foot all the time

Interesting Things I have Discovered:
The ocean depth varies greatly as we move across the water....currently the depth of the ocean is 75 feet
Monitors on the ship are constantly displaying our latitude, longitude and other fun facts
The waves look huge 

No comments:

Post a Comment